PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Allergy Free "Peanut" Butter Chocolate Swirl Cookies


I miss peanut butter cookies almost more than anything.  Not more than cheesecake.......but close!  So, I've been so excited to find a peanut butter substitute for Bee since she can't have any nut butters or sunbutter.  We use No Nut Butter which is made with golden peas.

These cookies are soft and taste surprisingly like real peanut butter cookies.  The added chocolate buttercream on top makes me think of Reece's cups.  They are yummy without the chocolate addition, but I think chocolate should be included in dessert whenever possible!


"Peanut" Butter Chocolate Swirl Cookies

4 T Earth Balance
4 T unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1  1/2 tsp egg replacer whisked with 2 T rice milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour blend
1/2 tsp xanthan
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Beat together first 5 ingredients until smooth.
Mix in egg replacer mixture and vanilla.
Add in flour blend, xanthan, soda, and salt.  Mix well.
Drop onto parchment lined cookie sheets by rounded teaspoons.
Flatten with fork.  (If the fork sticks to dough, wet fork tines before pressing).
Bake at 375 for 10-11 minutes.
Let cool on cookies sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack.



Chocolate Swirl Icing

6 T shortening (I use Spectrum brand)
2  2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup rice milk (plus a little extra)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Beat the shortening.
Add remaining ingredients.
Mix well until the icing is smooth.
Pipe onto cookies.
(I used a ziploc baggie with a small hole cut in one corner.  I'm really high-tech like that....)


NOTE:  You could probably make these with sunbutter or another safe "butter" but you might need to reduce the salt.  The No Nut Butter does not contain added salt, so I made sure the recipe had enough.  You might stick with 1/4 tsp salt if using a different nut or seed butter.  You'll have to do a taste test!

4 comments:

Clarissa said...

sounds yummy! I may have to try these with sunbutter... and that chocolate icing looks delish!

Lexi said...

They were so so yummy! See my note regarding salt if you switch to sunbutter or a different nut butter. I'm going to have to make these again really soon. But I ate WAY too many of them.

Clarissa said...

I made them today. Pretty good! My kids are happy... and I ate several *blush*...

Lexi said...

Glad they turned out well! Sunbutter is more "runny" than pea butter so you might need to change the amount of applesauce. But they were really good and for someone like Bee who hasn't ever had a peanut butter/sunbutter cookie before, they were a great substitute. I ate 10 the day I made them. Yes, I did. I can admit it :)

Post a Comment

Your comments are sweet as honey! Thanks for visiting the hive!

 
Content © Hives in the Kitchen | Design © 2012 Laura Jane
Unauthorized use of this site's design or code is strictly prohibited